Monday, November 9, 2009

Bibi Meets Angus Young, finally!






You could say dirty deeds were done dirt cheap on Sunday, November 8, when AC/DC rocked the house down with their high-power, explosive, exhausting show. Well, maybe not dirt cheap, but feeling that surge of anticipation when the house lights went down and you knew that FINALLY AC/DC's long awaited concert was about to begin, whoa, PRICELESS!!! The crowd reaction was intense: devil horns flashing, all our emotion pouring out in shouting, fist pumping, Bon Scott screams, and pure adrenalin. The song list was familiar to Bibi and alright! Angus and Brian were electric--Brian was working the crowd, Angus a whirling, duck walking, guitar god. Of course, the hits got the greatest roars of approval, but around me, no one sat down for the entire concert, there was just too much energy coming from the stage to settle down. It was a raucous, wild time, really loud--as God intended a rock concert to be--completely absorbing, life affirming, rock n roll will NEVER die kind of experience. As each song began, the crowd roar would drown everything out and then as everyone sang along, you could see Brian was eating it up, egging us on to total voice obliteration. By the time Angus blasted into Let There Be Rock, everyone was sweat-drenched, nearing exhaustion, but so ready to rock on with the greatest band on earth.
Began the evening with a meet n greet for some acdc.com folks, an experience in itself. What a great bunch of people!Got to show off my flag, too! I was so happy that Rolan coud go with me--he's a huge acca dacca fan, like me, and we had a great time! The evening did take a slight turn for the worse as I was walking to the car: a *x%$# person came up behind me and stole may devil horns! My voice was gone, of course, so when I yelled at him, couldn't hear me.
Of course, the next part, at AC/DC's hotel, led to almost total recovery really quickly. On Saturday night, David and Vanessa (acdc.com-ers from Denver) and I had met, had dinner at Hard Rock and just happened to visit the bar at a nearby posh hotel. While seated there, with a view to the front entrance, I thought I was imaging things when Phil Rudd walked in and scooted quickly to the elevators. But no, a few minutes later, I recognized two of the security guys from Europe with Brian and Cliff! Cliff and his companion got into the elevator, but Brian spent a few minutes with Vanessa and David. I felt like I needed to hold back, after all, I'd had my moment in Brian's sun in Amsterdam. Vanessa and David were ecstatic and I was feeling pretty good, too! So glad I was there!

After the concert on Sunday, a few of us gathered outside the hotel and YES, YES, YES, finally got to meet .... ANGUS YOUNG, ROCK GUITAR GOD EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!! Got to re-meet Cliff, got his autograph and also, really cool, got to speak to the elusive Phil and got his signature. The smallish crowd (maybe 15 of us) then got the thrill of a lifetime when Malcolm and Angus worked our line, one at each end, so all of us got both autographs and, when requested, photos with each of them! Bibi felt really honored that Ross, Malcolm's son, agreed to take the photo of me and his uncle. I could barely speak and at that, I can't say all of it was coherent. Guess Angus has gotten accustomed to that kind of behavior, though. I know others have mentioned this, but until I experienced it myself, I didn't really feel how Angus and Malcolm are so kind and gentle with the fans, so generous with their time and energy, especially after the incredibly energetic, body-punishing show. It meant so much to me that Angus actually listened to what I was saying and responded, although, of course, I was totally blown away that I was even speaking to him. Also, surprized that next to Angus and Malcolm, Bibi seemed like a giant.
Still processing the whole experience and treasuring my High Voltage cd cover that now bears the autographs of Cliff, Phil, Malcolm and Angus. Unbelievable!
Hope to post tomorrow night from Mexico City....hasta la vista, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment