Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Angus Young: I Know It's Only Rock n Roll, but WOW!

I was explaining to a cool person today that I love to get projects and then just really focus on those projects until I'm full; happens that right now, AC/DC (especially Angus Young) is my project. My fascination can be explained by a tiny fragment of Michelangelo's ceiling work. The gap between Adam's and God's fingers--that's how I see the creative process that makes AC/DC's music so special. How do they cross that small and yet crevasse-like span from their initial ideas for songs to something like Thunderstruck or Highway to Hell or Let There be Rock or Little Lover or Night Prowler? How do they put the bits of guitar riffs, snatches of words, all those years of being on the road and the experiences they've had into songs that are so full of electrifying energy and indelible images and sounds into a segment of 3 to 5 minutes? How do talent, ability, guts and guitars backed by drums transmute into something that brings so much joy to so many different kinds of people that do a countless number of different kinds of work, have different levels of education and don't even speak the same language? AC/DC puts it all together and they are AC/DC, greatest rock band on earth with Angus Young, guitar god. Others put their music together and they're Band Nonentity or (fill in the blank, don't want to start any wars).
Anyway, then we started talking about Dylan--amazing that I got back to work at all. How do I put all this into a 30-second meeting with Angus? When and if that momentous meeting happens. Just babble incoherently while someone takes our picture and hopefully I get an autograph? Of course, it could be like that cool person said: they don't know how it happens either. And as someone in the band has said before when we try to make their music deeper than it is--it's just rock n roll. Don't you just love it?

No comments:

Post a Comment