Saturday, June 27, 2009

Amsterdam Arena, June 23, 2009

What a show! The audience was really into it which made it even better. I met some new AC/DC fans--for some it was their first AC/DC concert. I told them they were in for the experience of a lifetime and the guys did not let us down! They were in top form and just rocked us all night long--or at least for about two hours. Highlight for me was Thunderstruck--I had my Texas flag with me and the crowd around me encouraged me to wave it around, but especially during this one. I had a pretty decent seat which helped make this show a bit better for me than the Paris show where we were directly in front of the stage, but given the stage set up, pretty far away. No changes in the song list, so I knew what to expect, but for the newbies around me, they were blown away. It's really cool that AC/DC never seems bored with performing. Although I knew what was coming, it was amazing how fresh the material seems each time AC/DC plays it. The camera work was way better than in Paris and all the closeups showed each of the band members working hard for us, but at the same time, you could see they were having a great time. Brian was mugging to the crowd in his inimitable way--you could see the crowd surging around the stage every time he came close to them. Angus drove us all nuts, too, his unbelievable guitar work just amazing. The screens gave us a great view of Angus's expressions--he was grinning sometimes, while he played--really looked like he was having a fantastic time wowing us. I'd been told that the sound quality in the Arena was bad, but I didn't hear any problems. It was good and LOUD, but no distortion or cut outs apparent. For both the Paris and Amsterdam shows, Angus played the Let There Be Rock (first) guitar solo on a large square platform at the end of the runway from the stage so that he's about center of the stadium playing field. Then a riser comes up from that platform above the crowd where he amazes us all with his ability to play anywhere. At the end of that portion, a huge explosion of confetti erupts, showering those around the platform. Really cool effect!
The downside of knowing the song list is realizing that as each song is played, we're closer to the end of the concert. I really felt it this time--more than in Paris--but even so, nothing can top the sequence from Let There Be Rock through For Those About To Rock in terms of pure rock showmanship and bravura. What a fantastic, unbelievable rush! The crowd was wild, singing with all the hits, jumping up and down, cheering non-stop. This can only mean that I will see them in concert again, right? Since I didn't get to meet Angus, all the more reason to figure out when the next concert date for me will be.

In the meantime, the European trip was a great one for me--got to see some old friends, family while I was there--and with their help, had the wonderful, unforgettable chance to meet both Brian and Cliff. Both of them were such accessible guys, so down to earth and genuinely happy to meet the fans. I can't make a distinction of which one was "better" to meet; they were both truly lovely to meet. I got both their autographs and a picture with Brian. Just to let you know how personable he is, though, Brian not only gave me his autograph and was very patient with the star-struck fans around him, he hugged and kissed me, saying: Thank you, darling, for being here. What a guy!! I'll post the picture asap!

No comments:

Post a Comment